Thursday, April 4, 2013

Gulf World, Panama City Beach

For Spring Break we had originally planned on going to Arkansas for a few days, but due to a couple of last minute difficulties we ran into, our plans got changed and we spent the week at home instead. I think that may have been a first for us. I immediately began searching for some ideas on fun things to do during the break that were fairly local but still fun. We decided a day spent in Panama City Beach would be perfect. PCB is about a 1 1/2 hour drive from the house and we got to Gulf World not long after they opened. I had expected a larger crowd but thankfully all the spring breakers in that area are older kids wanting to spend their free time at the beach.

These sea lions weren't performing but just happened to be moving from location to another while we were nearby.



Their least favorite thing, stopping for a picture.

We all got a kick out of watching the chameleon. I think if I had eyes like that I could keep a much better watch on Cutter!
These are rough toothed dolphins. They are not normally kept at aquariums and I believe they said that Gulf World is the only facility in the US to have any.
Who can resist a kiss from a dolphin?!
At the beginning of the dolphin show they asked for volunteers to help with some dolphin training, naturally Sailor's arm went right in the air. We were at the top of the stadium so I was a little surprised she was chosen but could not have been more excited for her, not to mention a little jealous!
Sailor showing the dolphin how to spin in a circle.
Sailor having the dolphin do a little singing.
And a little dancing.
Opening and closing the mouth.
A little flipper action.
 Followed by a little splashing, it surprised Sailor just a little.
Waving bye.
Time to see what they can really do!
As many shows as I've seen and as many as I've seen in the wild, I never get bored watching them. They are such amazing creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment