Friday, October 9, 2015

Cajun Encounters

We've been wanting to go on a swamp tour for some time, and we decided it would be a great way to end the kids summer break. Now living in Florida we know what heat and humidity are, and that was the one thing I was dreading most about the trip. Heat, humidity, and a swamp. Sounds like a wonderful combination, right?! And the swamp did not disappoint. It was super sticky, sweaty hot. But it was worth every bit of it, I honestly can't believe I just said that, but it really was. We were amazed at how many alligators we saw.

 

This was the first alligator we came upon being fed by another boat, he was huge!
Our captain lured him over with a hot dog. Does that not look like a finger in his mouth? Seriously, this was right in front of me and terrified me just a little!
Apparently they like marshmallows also. We learned it's because they are visual animals and they can see the white against the water. Even at my age I'm always learning new things.
I could not believe how far they could propel themselves out of the water. This was a big boy.
I also learned I really stink at spotting alligators from a distance. Hank and Tucker were spotting them left and right and I'm thinking it's just best I avoid the water.
I couldn't believe how many boats we saw stopped with people playing in the water on sand bars. Obviously they aren't as worried about the alligators as I was.

This was a much smaller one but look at how far he comes out of the water!
Red wasp nest.
And there are wild pigs that live in the swamp as well. That swim. And eat marshmallows.
That is one ugly animal.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment