Friday, July 16, 2010

Gum Neck, NC

While we were in Columbia I thought it would be nice to ride down to Gum Neck so the kids could see where parts of our family got their start. I don't think I've been down there in several years, just never enough time, but luckily Tucker remembers going hunting down there with grandaddy. I really wanted to go in the house but the bugs were so bad that none of us would go near the porch, guess we'll have to try again in colder weather.
Gotta love the spelling difference between the sign and the mailbox, typical Jones!

I can't believe we looked forward to going down here and going swimming.
On some of our riding around we got the privilege of seeing a mama wood duck and her babies in one of the ditches, they were so sweet!

3 comments:

  1. It was so nice to see your pictures. When I was a child, my grandfather, Irvin Sawyer, owned the one story white house before you got to Mr. Ashbys place. Like you, we would go swimming at Grapevine. Thanks for the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    My great grandfather was Ashby Jones (born about 1850)married to Clara Sawyer. Their son was Pardon Henry Jones who died in 1919 of typhoid fever. Can you tell me more about Gum Neck and the Jones family? Thanks, Joyce Bock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms Bock, if you will give me your email address I will see what I can do to help you.

    ReplyDelete